Hydraulic Brakes & Accessories

Harrison Shull Project

Test time

« Back to Album Photo 10 of 10 Previous | Next
Test time
So now I have “real” brakes on my older Airborne trike. I took the trike out for some taxi tests and was pleasantly surprised. It stops very well. So well, in fact, that I even managed to “bark” the rear tires with some overzealous testing. After several laps up and down the runway checking the brakes at different speeds and stopping distances, I went back to the hangar and checked everything in the system for tightness, leaks, and overall soundness. Everything checked out so I took her out for a flight. I shot a bunch of touch-and-goes and was able to stop easily within half the distance that I was getting with my old brakes. I think that with some more flight time and experimentation, I can get the stopping distance down to something super short – maybe around 200 feet from touch down to full stop. I am excited to measure this out. All told, I spent about $625 on this kit and assorted added pieces to get decent brakes for my trike. It was a fun project and has vastly improved the trike’s performance on short unimproved fields around here in Appalachia. Feel free to shoot me any questions at trikepilot@gmail.com.
Posted by EAA 1498 Webmaster on January 10, 2013



Oops, you forgot something.


The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.

You must be a member to comment on this page. Sign In or Register